Since moving to Hawaii in 2009, I have taken at least one night out of each month to add some carefully worded entries to this blog. Honestly, Hawaii isn't always dripping with Aloha, but sometimes there are reflections in the water.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Budget Travel, Island Getaways

I've been putting on air miles, despite my ridiculously small paycheck. Hit up Maui for a roller derby bout, then flew to the Big Island the next weekend for a little rest and relaxation. No regrets. Soaked up the beautiful beaches and tropical settings. Saw naked fire dancers at a nudie beach in Maui near Kihei, stole (oops! borrowed) towels from the Hilton on the Big Island to gain access to their immaculate wonderland of water features and what I deemed "White Privilege" (hey... it was mostly rich white folks getting sunburned. What can I say?)

Island-hopping is very similar to landing on different planets. I have concluded that the Big Island is a lot like Mars... Kauai, much like a planet containing Jurassic Park. Maui I didn't see a whole lot of, but it seems to be a country version of Oahu. Minus the garbage. Wow, Oahu is dirty. If Oahu were a planet, it would be where all the other planets throw their trash. All of the canals that drain from the mountains to the ocean are lined with debris ranging from mattresses to construction lumber, abandoned tires to microwaves. Discarded crap litters the sidewalks throughout the city. Of course, where there is trash, there are rats and roaches. You see the grotesque element. It's the most disheartening part of Honolulu, but I suppose unavoidable. Cost of living is high and so is the cost of large specialty item trash removal. I remember it costing my landlord $300 to have the roach-infested couch removed from our lanai back when I lived in Palolo. Man! You could buy a new couch for that! Sometimes it's advantageous to stroll a few blocks away from home and seek out abandoned book shelves... but for the most part, it's just a sad state of affairs. I just heard a terrible tale about the Ala Wai canal the other day that I won't even go into... but basically, it's toxic soup.

All in all, I've seen a lot since moving to Hawaii and have had some amazing adventures. I've acquired a taste for sushi, have effectively mastered the bus system, seen three islands, basked in the sun at multiple beaches, seen rainforests of bamboo, waterfalls... yeah. It's a pretty awesome place to explore. I do miss "weather," though. No thunderstorms, and very few heavy rainfalls. It gets boring to always have it be sunny or misting. I get bored with monotony. It is true in the career field and it is true in my living environment. Things get too comfortable and... BAM!! I need a change. I'm not a nomad, really, but I like to shake things up a bit. I suppose that's where Oscar the dog comes in...

Oscar is a little bit of a drama queen. Since he's arrived, he has done his part to remain the center of attention. Not always in a good way. While I was visiting the Big Island, he started a fight with an off-leash dog that looked his mirror-image, which to his credit wasn't entirely his fault since he was on-leash. He has continually menaced all neighboring dog-walkers protecting their toy breeds. He doesn't seem to understand what I'm doing when I have to weave between parked cars so that he doesn't see the Bichon approaching. It's kinda out of control. I walk him plenty every day and he certainly has his 'Breed Embassador' moments, but I just can't seem to break him of that small animal prey drive. Last week he tried to fit my new roommate's cat in his mouth. I had to pry his jaws off of the poor thing. I think it was a traumatic but necessary initiation for both the new roommate and the cat... but I don't want it to happen again. I am going to start looking for a personal trainer to help me gain control over my powerful and completely obnoxious canine. Maybe Cesar Milan will make a trip here to work with the animal kingdom in my apartment. To date, we now house 5 cats and 3 dogs. It's gotta be breaking the health code, but I'm not saying a word. Apartment hunting for a place that allows a big dog is just too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment