Since moving to Hawaii in 2009, I have taken at least one night out of each month to add some carefully worded entries to this blog. Honestly, Hawaii isn't always dripping with Aloha, but sometimes there are reflections in the water.

Friday, September 9, 2011

September, the Birthday month

September marks another smudge on my life calendar, forcing me to come face to face with my ticking clock and assess personal ambitions. It always feels foolish to look back on life lists that I have created (even after just a few short months) to see what I unrealistically hoped to accomplish. Sigh.
I guess that's part of the wisdom that we gain with each year of life. We must swallow our pride and our silly egos, recognize that we are imperfect beings filled with years of expert procrastination techniques, and let go of dreams that may be a little out of our reach. One of those will be my dream of working in a museum. I can't seem to land a job in one, which brought forth my epiphany about how much in life is completely out of our control; I cannot make a museum hire me, or show my work. Plus, if I really did want to have a piece of art in a museum some day, logic tells me that I should probably be making an exponential amount of artwork so that something can be seen to be put into one. Oh yeah. Kinda need to make art to show art. Unless you are an excellent performance artist that knows how to pull off something pretty amazing.

In the meantime, as I let some dreams die, other random interests have turned profitable; I am now baking cookies for a local coffee shop to the tune of 12 dozen per week!



Just simple cookies for now, such as chocolate chip or white chocolate macadamia nut... but it's a start. I am more amused than rich by this venture, but pleased that homebaked goods are making a comeback. I've always found storebought cookies to lack a certain richness, and after some thought have determined that the richness I crave is simply the taste of real butter. Now, I know that butter is actually in storebought cookies... but for some reason the taste of it is more prominant in a freshly baked one made from scratch. I'm no scientist, but by golly my taste buds cannot be wrong!

Also in the works: cupcake experiments including cherry-filled red velvet with homemade cream cheese frosting. For now the cupcake endeavor remains unmarketed, but I enjoy it very much (and so do my friends).

No comments:

Post a Comment